Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Where is Yuko? Can we find my long-lost Japanese friend?

I made some very dear friends when I lived in Japan, and I'm still in touch with quite a few of them, even though it'll be ten years ago this July that I left Osaka. It's been wonderful (though scary) to see the kids I taught turn into teenagers, the young women I taught marry and become mothers, and to see where the older students have been on their annual trips (often to English-speaking countries, of course!).

But the most delightful person I met in Japan was a girl named Yuko. She was one of the first students I met and to this day I remember what she said in her first lesson with me. We were practising using the future tense and I'd asked them all to write down predictions about what they'd be doing in some future years.

Yuko was the first to read from her list, and her final prediction, almost 50 years into the future, has always stayed with me. “In 2050, I will walk down the street with my grandchildren.” It was simple, but beautiful, and such a lovely goal to have. The other students were talking about crazy stuff like living on the moon or being Prime Minister, but Yuko pictured a stroll in the neighbourhood with her grandkids.

Yuko and I quickly became friends, and she was the first person to introduce me to okonomiyaki, one of my favourite Japanese foods; she fuelled my new love for karaoke and we celebrated her birthday one year by meeting for karaoke at ten in the morning; she took me fishing, she showed me Kobe, and above all, we talked and laughed non-stop.

Karaoke fun: Yuko's on the left
But here's the problem: I have lost Yuko. She moved house twice quite quickly after I left Japan; she changed her email address a couple of times as she moved and then within a few years, I couldn't get a reply from any of the emails I had from her or the physical addresses either. I have thought of her so much over the years and would so dearly love to get back in contact with her. So I wondered if the internet could help me find her.

Here's what I know:
Name: Yuko Yoshino (she married Hiro just before I left Japan - her maiden name was Murakami) (and yes, Yuko Yoshino is such a common name that I actually had another student in my school with the same name!)
Age: If I remember rightly, she was just one or two years older than me; so in her mid/late 30s now!
Family: she had a daughter named Anzu, who was born in March 2005. And a husband named Hiro, who last I heard was working in roofing.
Place: she was living close to Hyotanyama in Higashi-Osaka
Profession: I know she hoped to return to work as a dental assistant when her daughter started kindergarten.

Yuko and her now-husband Hiro on a hot day in the sunflowers
Can you help me find Yuko? Please?


7 comments:

  1. May the power of internet be with you and may you reconnect with Yuko very soon, Amanda!
    I am now seriously putting some time & effort in my 'new & improved' travelogue, and I must say part-inspiration has come from you, so a big thank-u coming ur way from half way across the globe ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's lovely to hear, glad to be of some inspiration!! I'll have to check it out. And I hope I do manage to reconnect with Yuko soon!

      Delete
  2. How sweet to look for your Japanese friend. I live in her neighboring nation. Japanese tourists often visit Seoul for trips. If I ever come across her, will pass on your message

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kohinoor! Yes, do keep an eye out for Yuko - you never know!!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine! Still looking ... but ever hopeful!

      Delete
  4. Hi,
    Did you finally find her?
    I'm also looking for a friend in Japan ...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...