Sunday, June 17, 2012

Norwegian ferry dinners ... nearly 30 years later!

What pops into your head when you think of Norway? Quite aside from the thrill of seeing houses with grass roofs - probably my number one memory of my childhood experiences in Norway - I recall spending a lot of time travelling on ferries. Fortunately, I enjoyed travelling on ferries (and still do, because really they're just like trains on water, and I love trains) and so these criss-crosses of Scandinavian waters were just perfect for me. 

Dinner on a Norway Line ferry, 1985
On my regular trawl through my old diaries, I recently found this receipt from dinner on a Norway Line ferry which (to the best of my knowledge, may my mother correct me if I'm wrong) would have been on a trip from Bergen in Norway to the UK. (In case you're wondering, what I remember about Bergen is playing badminton at the caravan park!)

Judging both from the fact that I kept this receipt and my memories of many (perfectly tasty) homecooked meals in our campervan, I suspect that part of the thrill of catching ferries was the chance to have a bought meal. A six-month trip meant we were careful with money and "ate in" most of the time, but a ferry was a chance to splash out. And have a couple of drinks, apparently, and I wonder if it was my sister or I that had the extra orange juice?


I found this old postcard of what was presumably our ferry stuck into my diary too. To this day I'm curious about car ferries and the procedures for getting cars and vans onto them and I guess I got to know about this during our campervanning days in Europe.

P.S. Bonus points if someone can tell me how the ferry's wait staff calculated the bill. Where did they get 17.50 from? I guess if we were overcharged 27 years passing makes it a little too late to complain.

6 comments:

  1. I am going to be in Norway this summer. Definitely want to try the ferries now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy, Jonathan - I imagine the ferries are even better now than they used to be :-)

      Delete
  2. Haha, you got jipped! Just found your blog, good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes I think you're right!! And thanks :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh cool! I hope 25 years from now I can have memorabilia's like that to show people :D I live in Scandinavia and so far I've only been in Sweden outside Finland and this weekend I would be in Tallinn, Estonia and I would travel via ferry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your trip to Tallinn - I love it! (But I love Finland too!).

      Delete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...