Monday, June 04, 2012

A Kiva loan for a donkey cart to Pakistan

It's almost two years since I made my first loan on Kiva but I still get a thrill out of choosing a new recipient. (The best way to learn about Kiva is to read all my Kiva posts, but in a nutshell: you're helping people help themselves, by giving money that they pay back).

Scrolling through the potential loan recipients is a fascinating process and deciding on which part of the world, what kind of industry and what kind of people to loan to can be tricky. Usually something triggers a choice for me and this time, it was the story of a Pakistani woman my friends met over the weekend. She was sent to Australia for an arranged marriage that didn't work out well at all, and my friends helped her make a report at a police station and get medical treatment - and she is hoping to return to Pakistan this week. 
Recipients of Kiva loans in Pakistan (via Kiva.org)
My friends went above and beyond what most people do when they come across someone in need (literally on the street) - the least I can do is direct my $25 to Pakistan to help a different Pakistani woman improve her family's situation. My loan will help them replace a donkey cart, needed for the family business.

Kiva is offering free first loans again - that is, you use their money to make your first loan and the repayments go back to them, but you get to understand how the system works. Follow this free trial link to get one, and join the Not A Ballerina lending team so we can track how much we help as a group.

(This isn't a sponsored post ... I just really think Kiva does good stuff).

9 comments:

  1. Hi from France, Amanda. I had read one or two of your kiva posts but never took action, but by coincidence on the flight to Paris I read an article about a well known property investor who helps spread his good luck doing Kiva loans, and it got me thinking that I and a lot more of us should get involved. I will get to it as soon as I get back to Perth!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic to hear Sami! And what a lovely coincidence that you should read another article about Kiva around the same time. Love that. Enjoy your trip.

      Delete
  2. I have only made one Kiva loan (so far) and I enjoyed scrolling through the selection of recipients. I chose to assist a woman with a little food shop, since I own a restaurant and food is close to my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's excellent, and I'm sure it'll be the first of many :-)

      Delete
  3. Great Initiative I must say. I run a travel blog if do like and follow us. http://www.beenthereyet.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Kiva. First loan was to a Potato farmer in Africa (I have Polish heritage so potatos are close to my heart). I have re-loaned a few times since. Best $25 I've ever spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it Jeff - and I agree, a great $25 spent isn't it!

      Delete
  5. Hmmm im not sure if Pakistan would be something i would like to explore. Just hearing about the terrorists makes me really scared.. Is it safe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true. Not a place I want to head at present either. But I don't mind if a little of my money goes there to help someone doing good :-)

      Delete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...