Thursday, June 07, 2012

Cruisin' 4 a Cure: A unique way to drive around Australia

Meet Ness - a very cool traveller who, under the mantra "One girl, one year, one motor home, $1m target", is currently driving around Australia raising money for the Cancer Council to use in funding research grants aimed at finding cancer treatments. Ness has survived two battles with Hodgkin's lymphoma so she certainly comes from a position of passion when it comes to fighting cancer.

Of course, I'm in love with her fundraising idea because driving around Australia reminds me of my Australia in a van experiences and so I've interviewed Ness to find out more.


How did you come up with the idea of "Cruisin' 4 a Cure"?

After seeing the ill effects of cancer and the associated treatment, I always knew that I wanted to become a volunteer to raise money for Cancer Research.  Little did I know, I would end up being this ambitious. The idea of Cruisin 4 a Cure evolved after a colleague from work contacted Jayco who offered me a motorhome for 12 months to pursue my dream of travelling around Australia.  I saw this not only as a pipe dream that came to life, but also the greatest opportunity to raise funds for those less fortunate.  Through the use of the website PlanBig, a community website allowing people to bring their plans to life, I was able to get started and developed networks and ideas to help me get closer to the goal.
 
How do you get to know people when you arrive in a new town?

I love meeting new people, and the beauty of travelling alone is that you will meet people.  Staying in Caravan Parks you get the mix between grey nomads and backpackers which means that I can have a lot of fun and be nurtured by a surrogate family.

When I fundraise I also meet a lot of people, whether it is networking through approaching businesses for sponsorship or holding community fundraising events I meet people of all different walks of lives, with incredible stories to share, very often about grief, but inspirational for my journey, nonetheless.

Ness making friends in Karijini
What's the most beautiful place you've visited so far during your trip around Australia?

The most beautiful place I have visited so far during my trip around Australia is Australia ... it is so hard to pick one place as the country is so large, the landscape changes from town to town and everywhere has something amazing to offer.  I am a huge fan of the beach, so the beaches within Cape Le Grande National Park near Esperance left me speechless, the Ningaloo Reef, Coral Bay in particular, has stolen a chunk of my heart and the natural beauty of Karijini has inspired me to move West.  My preference is obviously WA, but no doubt I will fall in love with many other parts of our country as I travel on.

If you could keep on driving and head right out of Australia to anywhere in the world, where would you like to go and why?

This is a hard question to answer as well, as I believe there is beauty everywhere! However, I would love to buy a van, travel along the Southern coastline of Europe from Lisbon to Istanbul.


Thanks for answering my questions, Ness - I'm rather jealous of your trip when you mention incredibly gorgeous places like beaches near Esperance and Karijini National Park - two of my favourite parts of Western Australia for sure. If readers are interested in finding out more about Ness's journey and even donating to her appeal, then head to her Cruisin' 4 a Cure site. And while we're on the topic, a friend of mine lost her sister last year to Hodgkin's lymphoma, so if you're in Western Australia, check out the Rachel Doherty Foundation which is honouring her memory by raising funds for a dedicated cancer treatment centre in Perth.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting an interview that feeds the travelling bug! On a rainy day, what better thoughts than Esperance in summertime or Coral Bay during the South West's cold winters. Great to hear of someone travelling with such a noble quest as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Jo - and yes, imagining a sunny beach day at Esperance is a good antidote to winter, isn't it!

      Delete
  2. Great post! Hey, just to let you know that because I truly love reading your blog and checking out your inspiring pictures, I've nominated you for the Lovely Blog Award. Check out my blog for more information!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...