Thursday, May 03, 2012

7 super shots ... and a bunch of travel memories

Regular readers will know I'm a sucker for travel memes because I love a chance to reminisce about my past trips, so I was excited to be tagged by Linda at Journey Jottings, so now I am taking part in Hostelbookers 7 Super Shots. Choosing just seven pictures and their stories to tell is tricky but I've done my best ... and here goes:

A photo that takes my breath away

Near Quorn, outback South Australia
Arid outback might not be everybody's cup of tea, but I love it, and the drive out of Quorn near the Flinders Ranges in central South Australia just kept providing landscapes which really did take my breath away.

A photo that makes me laugh or smile


I had many, many funny days in Japan, but this was one of the highlights - when friends took me "fishing". You can see one row of rocks in the "river" behind me, and there was another just to the right of the picture, and when we arrived, the staff emptied a bucket of fish into our section of the "river", ready for us to catch! So, as you can imagine, satisfaction was guaranteed!

A photo that makes me dream


This is the view of the Croatian coast near the town of Razanj - a place I stayed one summer with some Slovak friends. We could slip off the back porch of the house into the warm sea and it was perfect. I definitely dream of returning for another Croatian summer - perhaps throwing some sailing in to the mix?

A photo that makes me think


This drawing was part of a collection on display at the War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. The whole exhibition really made me think - about the current generation of Vietnamese, about the generations of Vietnamese (and Australians) from the Vietnam War, and about how I really should know more.

A photo that makes my mouth water


Brunetti in  Melbourne is famous for its amazing cakes and pastries and (according to my stomach) that fame is very well-deserved. On my first visit I shared a plate of delicious sweet encounters with a friend and I can still taste them - SO good!

A photo that tells a story


It's a long story, the story this photo tells, but I'll give you a summary: my sister (left) and her husband (middle) spent their honeymoon travelling Europe with me and we ended up in Bratislava on New Year's Eve, staying with my great Slovak friends Tatiana and her son Martin (right). And New Year's Eve meant building their first ever snowman ... well actually, a snow-woman. One of my most memorable New Year's Eve celebrations!

A photo that I am most proud of (aka my worthy of National Geographic shot)


I'm not the photographer of the family, but I haven't cheated by using one of my husband's pictures - this is not in any way NG-worthy but it does make me feel happy and relaxed because it was taken at Rottnest Island, a place I always enjoy visiting.

Your turn next ...

I now need to nominate five other bloggers to take up this challenge, so I look forward to seeing some great pictures from:

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics, Amanda. Love the Rottnest photo :) and the way you describe each photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo! Why didn't I tag you?! I planned to and then didn't - I must amend that!!

      And thanks :-)

      Delete
  2. The last photo is fantastic! Also, the fishing thing? So East Asia. I could definitely imagine that happening in Korea.

    Thanks for the tag! I actually did this a couple of weeks ago because no one had tagged me yet and I was feeling jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the fishing thing is hilarious - I agree, from my experiences with Koreans they could definitely come up with the same idea!

      And oops, I knew I should have checked back to check who'd already done it, and I was too pushed for time - well, consider yourself retrospectively tagged!!! No longer any need for jealousy :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that you have a fun travel adventures. This photos are full of fun and memories. I hope a I can experience like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm love Melbourne cake shops and Rottnest Islands, actually rather like SA outback too - nay sorry the chocolate has to win - that's why we travel isn't it - in search of the best chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABSOLUTELY!! A traveller after my own heart :-)

      Delete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...