1. The Bungle BunglesThe Bungle Bungles or Purnululu is an amazing area of my very own state, yet it is practically the width of Europe away from where I live (hence I haven't actually made it there yet!). That, and given its remoteness it's not that cheap to visit "properly" (it's one of those places that looks spectacular by air, so you want to budget a fly-over into your trip). I highly recommend it for all visitors to Western Australia!
|Purnululu - Bungle Bungles, Western Australia|
2. Norwegian FjordsTechnically, I've been here already as a nine-year-old but my main memories of Norway are playing badminton in caravan parks and seeing grass roofs. A friend of mine recently took a cruise through the Norwegian fjords and that has reignited my desire to get there again - some day!
|Geiranger Fjord, Norway|
3. Giant's CausewayApart from the fact that I would just love to go to Northern Ireland anyway, the fact that the Giant's Causeway looks so incredible (and reminds me of Tasmania's Tessellated Pavement, which would have been on this list if I hadn't already been there) is an extra incentive to get there.
|Giant's Causeway, Northern Ireland|
4. Pyramids at GizaI almost went here when I had a short trip to Egypt during a summer break while I lived in Germany. Unfortunately the only way to get there from our resort would have meant a gruelling 24-hour trip so I satisfied myself with sightseeing around Luxor, but I have certainly been pining for another Egypt vacation ever since.
|Pyramids near Giza, Egypt|
5. Franz Josef GlacierGetting to New Zealand is definitely one of my short-term travel goals (it is one of our neighbours, after all!), and there are numerous parts of the country that appeal to me. But for sheer impressiveness of landscape, I think the Franz Josef Glacier is what I really want to see.
|Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand|
I nearly went to Namibia - a relationship break-up meant I got to do all the planning and he got to do all the travelling :-( But in the process of researching it I fell in love with the country and the Sossusvlei part of the Namib Desert is a place I would dearly love to see some day.
7. The Great Wall of ChinaThe Great Wall of China is not quite a landscape view as such, rather a man-made icon stretching through the landscape, but for me it fits on this list because I would need a good wide angle shot to do it justice (and that's a landscape, for me!).
|Great Wall of China|
8. Machu PicchuFrom what I hear, Machu Picchu has almost become an overrun tourist icon but it still is incredibly impressive and I would still like to go there. Well, there and pretty much everywhere else in South America, actually. (Oh, and yes, ditto on the man-made/landscape comments as per Great Wall.)
|Machu Picchu, Peru|
9. Grand CanyonI heard an incredible statistic about visitors to the Grand Canyon recently - the average visitor stayed something ridiculous like just ten minutes there. I plan to stay a LOT longer.
|Grand Canyon, United States|
10. Kakadu National Park
Another part of Australia I've never explored is the northern half of the Northern Territory. The Kakadu National Park covers a large area here (as big as the entire nation of Slovenia, apparently!) and highly intrigues me.
|Kakadu National Park, Australia|
11. Gobi DesertMongolia was sadly dropped from my travel list en route to Russia a few years back (a long story, but the SARS outbreak in Hong Kong meant my flights were cancelled and I had to re-plan my route). But my longing to see the Gobi Desert (and stay in a yurt and do all those typical Mongolian things!) is still strong.
12. AntarcticaAs yet, I don't know enough about the mysterious continent of Antarctica to be more specific about what I'd like to see - but from the reports of bloggers I know who've been, pretty much the entire place is mind-blowing.
|Penguins in Antarctica|
Thanks to the following great travellers for the pics (via Flickr/Creative Commons): Purnululu by Obliot, Fjord by Edward Dalmulder, Giant's Causeway by locace, Pyramids by Steve's Wildlife, Franz Josef by edwin.11, Sossusvlei by Monica Guy, Great Wall by rich115, Machu Picchu by MikeBash, Grand Canyon by Cape Town Craig, Kakadu by Rita Willaert, Gobi Desert by PnP!, Antarctica by HamishM.