Monday, October 03, 2011

Hot air ballooning is on my one-day list

Thanks to the cover of our edition of Dr Seuss's Oh, The Places You'll Go! - yes, it features a hot air balloon - the small boy is going through a phase where he points out such balloons all over the place - in books, puzzles, and even where they don't really exist. But he's got me thinking - one day I'd really like to go hot air ballooning, but where would I do it? It's possible to do it not too far from Perth, in the Avon Valley, but I'd really rather save the experience for somewhere that's more exotic to me.

This led me to google around, as you do, and find a few spectacular spots where taking a hot air balloon ride is popular. I haven't decide which one is "the" place, but at least I've got some good ideas. And they include ...

Cappadocia, Turkey

When I lived in Europe I always planned to get down to Turkey for Anzac Day - many Australians make something of a "pilgrimage" to the town we call Gallipoli - but the timing never worked out. So, I've still got to get there one day, and I've heard Cappadocia is incredible - add a hot air balloon ride over the top and it sounds pretty much perfect.


Ballooning in Cappadocia, Turkey

Queenstown, New Zealand

Before you become amazed that I'm an Australian travel-lover who's never been to New Zealand, I'll remind you that Perth is actually considerably closer to Asia than it is to New Zealand. But I definitely want to go one day and now that I've discovered you can take scenic balloon rides over the gorgeous New Zealand landscape around Queenstown, there's another reason to go.

View from a Queenstown ballooning trip, New Zealand

Namib Desert, Namibia

I almost visited Namibia once - unfortunately my then-boyfriend and I split up and he went without me. After reading and planning for months about that trip, I've always been fascinated by Namibia and a balloon ride over the Namib Desert does sound spectacular. Plus I remember there are a whole heap of other gorgeous spots to visit there, lots of unique landscape and the chance to see some of my favourite animals (giraffes, anyone?) up close.

View from a balloon to the dunes of the Namib Desert, Namibia
So I've got three great ideas already, but I'm always open to more - have you got any hot air balloon trip tips for me? Let me know in the comments.

Thanks to myhsu, western4uk and jriggert for the images.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Turkey and Namibia look amazing, but since I have done the Queenstown trip I can only recommend that one. It was awesome and Queenstown is beautiful any time of the year. Definitely worth the trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation Andrea - the Queenstown version certainly looks like the most achievable for me in the near future - perhaps some day I'll get to balloon in all these places?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, you can't go wrong with Queenstown. It's the most beautiful place I have ever seen, just breath taking scenery! I have been to Namibia before as well as I'm originally from South Africa but now lives in New Zealand. Feel free to check out my website as well - http://www.sa2nz.com - just info on all things NZ for people looking to immigrate to new Zealand.
    Keep well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for Queenstown - it must be good! Thanks, Ivan.

      Delete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...