Friday, September 23, 2011

Swimming in a cathedral in Budapest

In my post on the Heviz Baths in north-west Hungary, I hinted that there was an even more spectacular place to take a dip in Hungary - and here it is. Well, it's my personal favourite, anyway.

What I'm talking about is the Gellert Baths in Budapest, an incredible complex of various thermal baths, the most photogenic of which is basically a large swimming pool housed in a room that looks like a cathedral. As you can probably understand, there are sadly no cameras allowed inside the baths (although the cathedral-style bath is for everyone so you're wearing your swimsuit there) so thanks to Wikicommons for this idea of what it looks like (although personally I think it's a lot more majestic than this photo suggests).

There are other smaller baths and an outdoor area, plus all kinds of treatment rooms if you're after a massage or beauty treatments and so on. It's also part of the larger Gellert Hotel complex - my budget didn't stretch that far but if I return to Budapest rich it is definitely a place I would love to stay.


And just to prove I really was there - these were the tickets we used to get in and then to confirm how many hours we spent - if I remember correctly we had to pay the day fee up front and then received a refund for staying less than the full day. Although if I'd had more time on that trip, I could definitely have imagined spending the whole day swimming in a cathedral.

4 comments:

  1. That looks REALLY nice...beautiful.

    It kind of has a dream-like feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dina - it *is* REALLY nice! If you're ever in Hungary, make sure you get there! I adored it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, imagine the history in the Catherdal of just how many poeple have gone before you in the baths? What a way to pass a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Budapest. Been there a couple times and still haven't done the Gellert Baths :(
    Hopefully next time.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...