Thursday, July 14, 2011

My 7 links: Re-imagining old posts thanks to TripBase

A travel blogging friend of mine, Sophie, has just nominated me (thank you!) to take part in the My 7 Links endeavour from TripBase, which means, in plain English, that I get to tell you about seven blog posts of mine that are a bit special for various reasons. So, without further ado, sit back and let me take you on a journey through my last six years of blogging with these seven special blog posts ...

My most beautiful post:
I think I have to go with one of the most beautiful places in the world for this one (in my opinion!): Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia. I took literally hundreds of photos here over a two-day period but none of the photos really show how beautiful it is - you should definitely go there yourself!



My most popular post:
That's an odd one (I think) because it's actually a pretty run-of-the-mill post about pink galahs and the Pinnacles, a great tourist destination here in Western Australia. It got picked up on Stumbleupon and went a little bit viral, making it my most visited post ever.


My most controversial post:
I'm not in the habit of being controversial but the closest is perhaps my post titled Americans need to relax (and travel). Fortunately I managed to get my point across without insulting anyone (or if I did, they didn't complain!) although this post did receive quite a few detailed comments.

My most helpful post:
I often receive queries about travelling on the Trans-Siberian, and that's what led me to write a post titled Q&A for taking the train across Russia. Travellers who decide to take on the Trans-Siberian as independent travellers, like I did, can find it hard to access useful information so I was trying to help out a bit - I hope I did.


A post whose success surprised me:
I really didn't expect my post about washing the dishes (Australian style) to get so much attention! I do enjoy making quirky observations about cultural differences but I didn't really think my thoughts about dish washing would create so much interest. There you go!

A post I feel didn't get the attention it deserved:
One of my favourite trips ever was my time in Tunisia in northern Africa, and I wrote a post describing the backpacking route around Tunisia that I took. I guess Tunisia (pre-revolution) was mostly just known to Europeans as a place with a few coastal resorts, and to the rest of the world barely known; now it's probably wearing a "danger" label, and I guess these things explain why few people are interested in my backpacking post - but you should be! Tunisia's an incredible country to visit!




The post that I'm most proud of:
I like to show quirky, I like to show cultural traditions and I love Japan, so my photo essay on eating giant okonomiyaki at Osaka Castle is easily one of my favourites. I'm also pleased that it uses a few more photos than usual, something I'd like to get better at.

Finally, this My 7 Links scheme requires that I nominate up to five bloggers to pass this on to, and in the spirit of moving beyond travel bloggers to all kinds of others (as the TripBase people hope for), I'm tagging:


3 comments:

  1. Glad to get this chance to catch up on some of your older posts (since I only started reading your blog fairly recently).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melanie, it was fun to put it together too and browse through my older posts! Hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you - only just saw this! (All a bit hectic here). I will try and do it next week!!!

    Hope all is going well with you Amanda.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...