Monday, July 04, 2011

An artist's impression of Hong Kong, with bonus musings on apartment life

Regular readers will remember my 25 years ago in Europe series in which I laid bare numerous pictures of me as a nine-year-old (fortunately, I haven't received *too* much ridicule as a result!). But wait, as they say, there's more. I recently came across the diaries I kept during those trips and there are some real gems to share. At the risk of becoming an international embarrassment, I'm going to share these with you, mostly for a much more intellectual reason - I think the views of a nine-year-old from the most isolated city in the world as she gets exposed to all these new places is kind of interesting, especially when we're thinking about my favourite topic of cultural insights and understanding.

That and some of the stuff I drew, wrote and saved is just really hilarious.

My drawing of a Hong Kong apartment building, aged 9
This is the very first entry in a big bulging diary I have - it's also full of pictures cut from brochures, saved tickets and receipts and all kinds of stuff, and I promise to show you some more in the future. We had arrived in Hong Kong for a three-day stopover en route to London and coming from the very non-crowded city of Perth, I can remember to this day the feeling of amazement I had that people could live in apartment buildings like this. Their washing hung in the windows and (a detail I didn't remember but my picture clearly shows) some had TV antennas attached by long cables from the roof down to the windows.

At the time, I know I felt a kind of sympathy for these people, thinking that it can't be much fun living in an apartment block like that. These days, I've had my own experiences of apartment life and while I still love my sprawly suburban house (especially with kids), I can see definite advantages to living in something more contained, too (no gardening, no gutters, just to name a couple). And if I had the luck to live in New York for a year (a little fantasy of mine!) then it'd be criminal not to live downtown in an apartment.

But to sum up, I just think it's cute that of all the great places I saw in Hong Kong, the one I chose to draw was an apartment building.

3 comments:

  1. I love your cute drawing Amanda.I can just imagine, not being used to these skyscrapers and coming across them in Hong Kong. I too agree there are a few advantages in living in an apartment, but I certainly prefer a house and garden, however small!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!
    A vignette from your travels that I bet brings back memories of that moment in time better than any number of '000 poorly (no reference to your writing capabilities!!) construed 9 year old words -
    Its a shame we become more self conscious, or maybe our expectations rise too high so we become more self critical of our endeavours.
    As simple doodley drawings like this express so much -
    I hope you're still doing them? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sami, thank you! And yes I agree, give me a house any day.

    @ JourneyJottings, thank you too! So true about becoming self conscious, I never draw anymore (I'm "bad at it", I decided somewhere along the line) but I should - esp if it's just for me, in my diary.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...