Wednesday, June 22, 2011

An art museum where (nearly) everything moves

Last night I had the fantastic pleasure of seeing Shaun Tan speak: if you don't know him, he's an artist/illustrator/author who is originally from Perth, growing up in a suburb just down the road from me, and now he's an Academy Award winner, among a tonne of other accolades. While I could blather on for hours about what he said, my point today is he mentioned how important it is that kids are exposed to all different kinds of art.

Which got me thinking about art galleries and museums I've visited that a kid would actually like to go to. Obviously quietly strolling through a collection of paintings hung on walls is not going to be what a small boy considers fun (well, especially not the "quietly" part). Which is when I remembered this:


This enticing red button (which, of course, you are allowed to push. Encouraged to push, even!) is part of the Museum Tinguely in Basel, Switzerland. It's an art museum housing a whole variety of stuff but most particularly the "kinetic art sculptures" of Jean Tinguely. Yep, weird cobbled-together stuff that moves. In other words, it is full of the stuff that small boys (and girls) will like.


It's a slightly odd place, but well worth a visit. Do you know other art museums that kids would love? (Or easily bored adults?) Do let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...