Saturday, June 11, 2011

Around Australia in a van: Whitsundays wildlife


During my last Around Australia in a van recollection when we reached the Whitsundays I mentioned that I had a strong memory of a bird landing on my sister's head. It turns out this memory (unlike many others) was actually true, because I just discovered the photographic proof. Well, close to proof, but I don't think it takes too much imagination to see that this bird has obviously just left my sister's noggin. (See, I like the word noggin - remember my recent Nogger ice cream?)

It turns out my sister (who will be mortified if she sees this younger pictures of her, but I don't personally think they're embarrassing at all!) had quite a thing for animals while we were in Queensland. After our Whitsunday cruising we stayed in a caravan park in Shute Harbour and it was there that my sister befriended this possum.


Having a small boy around now who is addicted to animals and just beams at the sight of even our regular morning birds, I've become a lot more interested in these casual encounters with wildlife. I've even begun to understand the attraction of birding! Australia is full of intriguing wildlife and judging by these photos it's not so hard to come across it - you don't even need to go to the zoo.

So, today's question is: what's your favourite Aussie animal? (My answer: wombat. I'll share my wombat story soon.)

2 comments:

  1. I have a love/hate relationship with the kangaroo.

    Hope you are well and happy!

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine that being on a farm could give you mixed feelings about kangaroos. Being a city girl I can just love them :-) (not as much as wombats though). xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...