Sunday, April 10, 2011

Onion cake? Culturally satisfying Zwiebelkuchen

It's all about food today, because I'm feeling kind of peckish. I just came across this photo of our homemade Zwiebelkuchen and wanted to share it. My (German) husband’s not usually much of a cook, but he can turn out a mean Zwiebelkuchen. Literally translated, a Zwiebelkuchen is an onion cake, which doesn’t sound that appetising. But apparently it’s not all in a name.

My first memories of Zwiebelkuchen in Germany are from outdoor parties like the annual wine festival where local vineyards sell their products and a few food stalls help soak up all the wine tasting. As you’d expect, there are plenty of onions in Zwiebelkuchen, along with a cheesy, cream-based mix that holds the onions together inside a doughy pastry. I promise you that it’s utterly delicious and worth a try if you’re ever in Germany or in a German restaurant that offers it. It’s particularly a specialty of the south-west region of Germany.

Eating Zwiebelkuchen has more than a culinary effect on me. It’s one of those feeds that seems so tied up with the cultural experience I first had while learning about it that I feel transported back to evenings in Germany every time I eat it. It’s hearty and filling, typical of most German meals - I’m not sure why German cuisine is like that, but it’s definitely good for winter, and in fact any time I feel I’m lacking a bit of strength I’ll get a craving for a good serving of German food.

2 comments:

  1. A cake made from onions with a funny name to boot...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it's even delicious! I'm so used to German words I'd forgotten how funny it sounds!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...