Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Passport pirouette: Honestly, I'm going to Canada!


I've only had the pleasure of visiting Canada once, when I took a trip to the west coast while I was living in Japan. I'm dying to go back to see more, because my ten-day exploration of Vancouver and Vancouver Island certainly convinced me that Canada has heaps to offer, and that was really just scratching the surface of a tiny corner of it!

What I do remember, however, about getting to Canada, was the - apologies to all American friends and family - the incredibly unhelpful passport control officers in the United States. I flew from Osaka to Los Angeles, where I had about an hour to transfer to my flight to Vancouver. I wasn't staying in the US, obviously, and in fact was in rather a hurry to get to my next flight. But the officer insisted that I fill in an address on the US immigration card. I tried to argue my case, but he really insisted, and although he obviously knew it was a big lie, he only let me through when I wrote down "Los Angeles Hilton" on my card. Fortunately, this annoying start didn't dampen my enthusiasm for my great Canadian holiday though!

2 comments:

  1. Funny story! Have never been to Canada but it sounds gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think it was very funny at the time, but yes, now, on reflection ...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...