Tuesday, March 01, 2011

The Bardo Museum of Tunis with mosaics galore

I'm always saying I'm going to tell you more about Tunisia, one of my all-time favourite places to visit, and especially since it's been in the news of late I feel even more compelled to tell you all the good reasons to go there (not just the political curiosities). So, let me introduce you to one of the most fantastic museums I've ever had the privilege of spending a day in: the Bardo Museum in Tunis, the capital city.



Tunisia is dripping with Roman era stuff and a whole heap of it has been gathered for safekeeping at the Bardo Museum. And nothing impresses me more than genuine mosaics, and there are dozens of giant mosaic floors (now mounted on walls) in this museum.


The building itself is historical - it's an old palace, I believe, and it's full of vast halls and marbled floors. It has quite a decadent feel to it, in contrast to most of Tunis. It was certainly the kind of museum where I could lose myself for hours, wandering and staring. There is more to see than just mosaics, but they'll always be the drawcard for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...