Friday, February 04, 2011

Picture pirouette: Karnak Temple - my version of Egypt


I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been thinking a lot about Egypt this week, with the very heavy-going political demonstrations happening in Cairo. I never made it to the capital during my brief trip to Egypt - I had a cheap package in a Red Sea resort and because of the restrictions on tourist bus movements (they had to remain part of a slow-moving convoy) it would have meant to nights spent on the bus with the day in between in Cairo and it just seemed too much.

Instead, I spent a day in and around Luxor and one of the highlights was this, the Karnak Temple Complex. It was incredibly hot - I guess Egypt often is! - and there was an overwhelmingly sandstone hue everywhere I looked, but it was truly fascinating to see the ancient sites I'd learnt about in Year 8 Ancient History.

3 comments:

  1. I remember Year 8 history. We were in it together....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL yes of course! And it was rather memorable. I thought of it often while in Egypt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egypt is on my bucket list. Thank you for hosting the weekend hop. Great idea and I look forward to reading more posts.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...