Monday, January 03, 2011

Where's my kayak: Canada, here I come!


I love the Google maps app on my iPhone, and I often use it to get around here at home - and also used it to look up directions when I was overseas earlier this year. When a friend sent me her address recently on Vancouver Island, I popped it in to Maps so I could see where her house was in relation to the parts of Victoria I remembered from my visit there a few years back, but a slip of the finger meant instead of getting a straight map I got directions to Vancouver Island from Perth, Western Australia! I'd never tried this before and got a good giggle out of it.

So as you can see, it'd take me about 54 and a half days to get there if I drove and - wait for it - kayaked. The route Google calculated for me goes up into the Northern Territory, then suggests I kayak across the ocean up to Japan (a quick 5,404 kilometre kayak). The rest of the directions send me over the ocean again to Hawaii, a quick drive there and then another kayak on to Vancouver Island. So if I start now I guess I'll be there some time towards the end of February. Better go find a kayak!

4 comments:

  1. i would love to see you kayaking across the ocean with R in tow. too funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha I think I would wait until he's big enough to do most of the paddling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! I love the simple instruction to 'kayak across the Pacific Ocean'! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes they make it sound so easy - no need for sleeping apparently either!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...