Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bookshop Tours: Join one in Perth

This is a very special travel post for me: almost without realising it, I've suddenly taken a step into the tourism market myself. Not just blogging about it, but organising tours: Bookshop Tours. My friend Jen and I have set up a small business running tours around independent bookshops in Perth, and our first tour took place last Friday night. And it was a big success!



Basically, our idea was to give people - locals and tourists alike - a unique experience, getting driven around to a series of interesting independent bookshops. Our tours are a lot more than simply visiting a bookshop: we have fun and games on the bus (book-related, of course), the owners of the shops organise all kinds of special treats, give interesting talks and offer a discount on purchases, and it all combines to be a really fun night out. It's loosely based on Larry Portzline's Bookstore Tourism in the United States, but with a lot of Perth touches (and Jen & Amanda touches, too!). It's funny, I've always had a little fantasy about being a tour guide, and now I'm actually doing it, in my own small way. I love it!



Our first tour on Friday involved local Perth people, and we will certainly be running a lot of tours with locals, especially book club groups and the like, but our tours are also open to anyone from anywhere, and in the future we hope to get some tourists on board. So if you're a book lover and you're headed to Perth, check out our Bookshop Tours website so you can join a tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...