Thursday, December 09, 2010

Summer holiday destinations and my favourite beach trips

My last chat on ABC radio was a timely discussion of summer holiday destinations. Timely because last week here in Perth it really felt like summer here - we were in the pool every evening - whereas so far this week it feels like spring again and I've had to wear socks to bed several times. (Warmer weather is forecast, never fear!)

I am definitely more of a summer person than a winter person, so asking me about summer holiday destinations is pretty easy. And it got me reminiscing about some of my favourite beachside holidays.

Rottnest Island, Western Australia

Like my husband - a recent immigrant from Europe - says, Rottnest is paradise. He couldn't imagine why people from Perth would go anywhere else for a summer vacation when they could take a quick ferry trip over to Rottnest, and I can definitely see his point. The beaches at Rottnest are PERFECT and you can often find one to have to yourself. Take your camera and you'll be forever photographing different shades of ocean blue.





Red Sea, Egypt

Although I heard there have been a few shark attacks here lately, my snorkelling holiday on the Red Sea is still one of the most memorable beach holidays I've had. The water was reliably warm and clear and it was a simple matter to climb off a jetty to snorkel right on top of marvelous coral reef.



Halong Bay, Vietnam

Even a dose of food poisoning didn't dampen my enthusiasm for Halong Bay. Sailing around through the different rock formations - like clouds, you could try to describe what their shape was and I'm sure one looked just like a map of Australia - was a perfect way to spend a lazy afternoon.



Okinawa, Japan

An unusual slightly un-Japanese part of Japan, Okinawa has entirely its own culture plus the influence of the American base - and it's warm. I sailed out to one of the smaller islands nearby for a proper relaxation session. My only complaint about Okinawa was having a hire car which kept directing me (in Japanese) back to the car rental depot - I couldn't figure out the Japanese characters on screen and didn't manage to turn it off until a few hours before I gave it back (when having directions back to the depot would actually have been useful!).



Your favourite summer and beach destinations

Let me know in the comments what your favourite tip is for a great beach holiday. I'll add it to my list of must-visits!

13 comments:

  1. We have a little beach house at Jurien Bay. It is just gorgeous and like Rottnest you are often the only people on a stunning stretch of beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lucky you! I think I've only stopped at Jurien Bay once, with my German/Swiss in-laws, and it really did look like paradise that day. Gorgeous! And must be a nice change from the farm for you all, now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green's pool down near Denmark is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh yes that's beautiful there - good tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at Rotto - I grew up in Perth and LOVE visiting Rottnest Island. I'm living far away now, some of my fave beach holiday spots in W.A. are Augusta, Margaret River, Kalbarri, Monkey Mia, and Old Dunsborough (get lunch from the bakery first :), further off would include Rarotonga (Cook Islands), Devon/Cornwall (U.K.), and Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, what a fantastic list of great WA beach spots! I second all of them for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a vast selection of fantastic places! I've never spent much time in WA but Rottnest Island is now on the list...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you started this blog hop. I look forward to coming back and reading more great posts.

    Sorry, this is my first chance to stop by since I've been sick with stomach flu all week. Take care. Mila

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Donna, yes, Rottnest Island should definitely be on your list :-)

    @ Mila, great to hear, look forward to your visits! Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great tips and information that you have posted over here. These beach trip and holidays guide are awesome. So we can arrange better trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The beaches in Asia are really beautiful since they try to preserve their natural resources. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Philippines has lots of beautiful beaches, Boracay and EL Nido to name a few. Been there and its like paradise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing great stuff about the Philippines - one day I'll get there!

      Delete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...