Friday, December 17, 2010

25 years ago in Europe: Back in London, visiting Madame Tussaud's


Sadly, we're nearing the end of my 25 years ago in Europe series - sadly, but fittingly, because in a couple of weeks it'll be 26 years ago, which doesn't have quite the same ring to it! Taking our campervan back to London to sell, we spent a couple of weeks exploring London's attractions and they included Madame Tussaud's waxworks. I just love this picture of my Dad posing with our then Prime Minister, Bob Hawke (for non-Aussies, he's the Prime Minister who also held a world record for beer drinking ...). My sister and I chose to pose with tennis star Martina Navratilova who was obviously having a better hair day than I was. Note, though, that we are in our matching tracksuit tops ready to hop on the tennis court with her, should she magically spring to life.


I've never been back to Madame Tussaud's during my trips to London - partly because, if I recall correctly, it's outrageously expensive these days - but also because I think this level of cheesy tourism is by far most appreciated when you're a child.

4 comments:

  1. Loving the matching tracky tops. Were they velour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. Sadly, no! That would've been the icing on the cake. Have I mentioned we also had T-shirts with a koala velcroed on (home made by my mother) - removable so the T-shirts could be washed without harming the poor koala!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.. Just thought you might be interested. I referred to your blog in mine...I have the same photo as you and your dad. Have a look at my blog. I posted your photo. I am happy to remove it if you wish. I just thought it was amazing to find such a similar image to mine... http://canadaandnewyork.blogspot.ca/2012/07/friday-greenwich-village-rei-store.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, that's fine since you have a link, how funny to have such a similar photo! My father is somewhat older now ... he'll probably appreciate his younger version being spread across the web!

      Delete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...