Tuesday, November 30, 2010

25 years ago in Europe: Greyfriars Bobby made me cry


Nearing the end of our circumnavigation of Western Europe, my family and I ended up back in the British Isles after taking a ferry from Bergen in Norway down to Scotland. Next stop: Edinburgh, and most memorably for me, this statue of Greyfriars Bobby*.

For those of you not in the know, Greyfriars Bobby was a little terrier (in Edinburgh in the 1800s) who faithfully sat by his master's grave for 14 years (until the sweet little doggy needed his own grave). Curiously this is seven times as long as the terrier had actually known his master, but he was obviously a very loyal hound. This story has been immortalised in a statue - that's my sister and I next to it - as well as in various other media, including the book I bought while in Edinburgh, Eleanor Atkinson's Greyfriars Bobby - a book that made me cry, I recall.I guess this was my first literary travel experience - and the first of many.

*I wanted to use an apostrophe here but all the official mentions seem to be apostrophe-less. So be it.

4 comments:

  1. Oooo i'm excited i can finally comment on here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL me too, and I look forward to many insightful comments from you!
    (Funny, I'm sure I made a comment like this already but it disappeared ...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet story! I think I'll add a visit to this statue to my to-do list for my visit to Edinburgh next spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Holly! I'm very glad to help inspire trip ideas! A friend of mine used to live in Glasgow which she assures me is even a bit nicer than Edinburgh - they're close enough to try both!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...