Wednesday, June 30, 2010

25 years ago in Europe: Other kinds of beaches in the Netherlands


Back in Australia, all I'd ever seen were long white beaches, with a few beachgoers scattered randomly along them. After just a few months in Europe I'd seen pebbles instead of sand, and now in the Netherlands these (to me, as a child) extraordinary things: basket-like cabins you could hire for the summer.

Every Australian should be temporarily transported to a typical European beach, I think, just so we can appreciate how fantastic our beaches are. But I digress. We didn't swim at this Dutch beach, but we did marvel at how unique it was for us. And that's definitely an important part of the wonder of travel, isn't it?

Part of the 25 years ago in Europe series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...