Friday, May 28, 2010

Picture pirouette: A temple in Nara, Japan by night


Ah, Nara. It was the capital of Japan in the eighth century, and now it's just a beautiful place. I lived in Nara Prefecture, immediately east of Osaka, during the second year I spent in Japan. I could ride my bike past the local rice paddies down to Nara Park, get attacked by the famous deer there, and wander in to see the giant Buddha. I miss it.

But there are temples of all kinds all around Nara, and while I could physically take you to this one if I was in Japan right now, I can't for the life of me remember its name. But I like this picture of it. Big brownie points if any reader can tell me what it's called!

2 comments:

  1. From memory from when I went there it was simply called the five storied pagoda; Gojū-no-tō.
    I think it's the only remaining eighth century temple in Nara, or at least that complex.
    Yeah, I just pulled out my travel diary and checked the map. That's it's official name! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Chantelle, thank you so much, and as promised, big big brownie points! Eighth century is pretty incredible, isn't it. Thanks so much for letting me know! And well done on having that info to hand. I'm a bit disorganised about that kind of thing ...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...