Thursday, April 15, 2010

25 years ago in Europe: Introduction to Greece at Igoumenitsa



Even when I was just a kid, it was the out-of-the-way, non-touristy places that impressed me the most on my travels. I'm pretty sure that if you'd asked me twenty-five years ago where my favourite place in the world was, I would have said it was Igoumenitsa in north-western Greece.

Back then, it was a tiny spot close to the first ferry stop after leaving the Italian port of Brindisi. We'd met an English couple (pictured below) who were regular visitors to Greece, and they suggested we should stop here at Igoumenitsa too. My diary shows drawings of a skinny peninsular of land, full of trees, where we free-camped for a few days. And according to these photos, there were plenty of little crabs there, too.


On our way back out of Greece, we drove through Igoumenitsa and found some nasty-looking development underway. These days, you can look the town up in Wikipedia and see that the population has grown by 50% since those days, but it's still less than 10,000 and they actually make it sound like it's still an idyllic, peaceful place. But even if I have the chance some day, I'm not sure I'll go back: I have a strong feeling it's one of those places that will always be better in my memory.

Part of the 25 years ago in Europe series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...