Wednesday, March 17, 2010

25 years ago in Europe: Pompeii impressed me

I seem to remember quite a lot about our time in Italy 25 years ago, perhaps because the Italian culture was already pretty familiar to me - Perth has a lot of Italian immigrants, our neighbours were Italian, and everybody knows about pizza and pasta! One visit that made a particularly big impression on nine-year-old me, however, was nothing to do with food - we spent a day wandering around the ruins of Pompeii.

It's pretty incredible that so much of this town was preserved "as is" when Vesuvius erupted almost 2,000 years ago (in case you're interested it, it apparently happened in the year 79 AD. Yep, that's a heck of a long time ago). I vividly remember seeing the people who had been "frozen in time" as they put it - I'm not sure how they should be described, were they mummified? Whatever the case, it was pretty scary and when my mother told me that Vesuvius was active volcano and could still erupt, the surroundings took on a whole new meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...