Monday, March 01, 2010

25 years ago in Europe: Pisa was already leaning


My memory of some parts of our European trip 25 years ago is a little patchy. I know we went to Spain, for instance, but for some reason there aren't even any pictures of this part of the trip in my scanned collection of photos.

But I do remember visiting the Leaning Tower of Pisa. It helps, no doubt, that this was one of those sights I'd actually heard plenty about prior to visiting Europe. And it definitely helps that my Dad and I climbed up - if I remember correctly - the first five of its eight levels. I can still recall the sensation of walking up those leaning stairs, because it was quite a strange feeling.

Afterwards, I bought one of those tacky souvenir Pisas with a pen sticking out of it. (Well, not of the tower, but it was a pen-holder souvenir. It's still somewhere in my house.) Beyond that, I don't remember much of our stay in Pisa, and I've never been back since - I think I might be disappointed with how touristy it is - but I'm glad I've been.

Part of the 25 years ago in Europe series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...