Thursday, February 11, 2010

25 years ago in Europe: A striped campervan in a Paris caravan park


I've never been one for fancy travel in luxury hotels or lazing around the pool at resorts, and if you look back to my childhood trip around Europe you will know why. We were spending six months in Europe, and we hadn't won the lottery or anything, so that meant we had to be budget travellers. And that suited me fine - and in particular, I fell in love with the idea of travelling by campervan.

In the picture above, you can see my sister and I (dressed in our new matching rainjackets!), standing next to our beloved white, blue and brown striped campervan. We (well, my parents) bought it in London and drove us all over Europe in it (which yes, had one disadvantage, the driver was on the "wrong side" of the road; not sure I could've coped but my parents did). My sister and I shared the bunk hanging over the driver's cabin; during the day when we were driving, we sat back in the main living area, sometimes doing our distance education schoolwork and sometimes just enjoying the scenery.

In case you're wondering, this photo was taken on a particularly dreary day in Paris. It would have been early April by this stage of our trip, so perhaps rain is to be expected. We certainly got used to it.

Part of the 25 years ago in Europe series.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing gift your parents have given you. Memories you'll never forget and valuable lessons you never would have received back home. And above all, you don't have to win the lottery to live your dreams! Wow.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...