Sunday, February 21, 2010

25 years ago in Europe: My first visit to the Eiffel Tower

The Eiffel Tower is one of those world-recognised tourist icons, and in fact Wikipedia claims it's the "single most visited paid monument in the world"; it's almost a cliche to visit it these days, and some "real travellers" advocate skipping the tower completely. Not me. And here I am on my very first visit to the Eiffel Tower, when my family was in Paris back in 1985.


I've been back a couple of times since - most significantly, on my last time up the tower my now-husband proposed to me - and it still impresses me. Sure, it was built as a radio broadcasting tower, which isn't exactly a grand traditional cause, but it's unique, and kids the world over can draw it more or less accurately. And it's just so - Paris. I say go there.

Part of the 25 years ago in Europe series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...