Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Soccer fans, plan your Down Under trip for 2022


Growing up, I never knew too much about soccer (or football, as I've finally started to call it). But how things change, because now I have this postcard pinned up in front of my desk! It's from the Australian FIFA World Cup bid website: Australia is bidding to host either the 2018 or 2022 World Cup, and I really hope we get it!

Of course, this is a travel blog, so I'm about to tell you how this related to travel. First of all, I seem to have followed the World Cup. I was living in Japan when Japan and South Korea hosted it in 2002; I inadvertently spent finals week in Seoul, and watched the South Korea versus Germany semi-final in the centre of Seoul with some million other Koreans. When Germany hosted it in 2006, the Australian team stayed near where I was living and I really got involved. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be in South Africa next year, but I'll definitely be watching the games on TV.

Championships like these really bring a lot of people together, and if you're lucky enough to travel in a country hosting a tournament as big as the FIFA World Cup, you'll have a very special experience. That's why I'd love Australia to be the host sometime soon. With South Africa and Brazil hosting the 2010 and 2014 respectively, I can't imagine that a third southern hemisphere destination would be picked for 2018, and that's why I'm encouraging you to start planning your 2022 trip. Scarily, I'll be in my mid-40s then, but I'm hoping I'll still be blogging and I'll be able to show you how my travels in Japan and Germany changed my mind about football.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, I'm so disappointed that Qatar beat us to win the 2022 World Cup hosting role ... :-(

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...