Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The meaning of travel, in non-native speaker poetry

If you have the same obsession with travel that I do, you've probably, at some stage or another, pondered exactly why you love travel, and what the point of it all is. You know, there are some people who stay in their hometowns for their entire lives and don't seem to be too unhappy about it.

In any case, my ideas of the meaning of travel would take much longer to explain than the few spare minutes I have right now, but what I want to share is something an ESL student wrote in one of my colleague's classes. Unfortunately, I've never met the student, nor do I know her real name (but I think she's from Korea, and probably travelling abroad alone for the first time), and I sincerely hope she won't mind me reproducing her words here. When English is not your first language, and you don't know all the right words to use to express your feelings, then sometimes you can get your thoughts out in such a unique way that it still makes sense - good sense.

The meaning of travel
by Ivy, in Australia

I feel that I can't understand the meaning of travel, because it's over my fancy.
In my heart, colorful bubbles appear and go. I experience a happy time.
It's so real - what I breathe, touch and smile.
I am clear-headed that I want to keep travelling.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said.

    A child on a farm sees a plane fly by overhead and dreams of a faraway place.
    A traveler on the plane sees the farmhouse and dreams of home. – Carl Burns

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...