Saturday, January 16, 2010

25 years ago in Europe: London stereotypes

Even before I visited London as a child, I had some ideas about it. After all, I grew up on British TV and reading British children's books - back then, the United States had much less influence on Australia - and I knew all about Buckingham Palace and bright red phone boxes.

In late March 1985, my family landed at Heathrow Airport. In a pattern that has never since changed, that in itself was an awful experience. The arrivals hall was over-heated and stuffy, and I felt faint - a woman in the queue near us offered me a candy to help me feel better, and it did. Thankfully, London improved after that.

The changing of the guards was something I knew about too, and as you can see from my Dad's photo above, we got to see it. We also started sending postcards home, although my six-year-old sister (soon to be seven!) had a few problems reaching the mail slot.

During our initial stay in London, we tracked down a friendly car yard and bought a campervan. Curiously, my main memory of that event is waiting in the car yard for what seemed like hours, amusing myself by dancing around the office. And that was really the start of our campervanning adventures.


Part of the 25 years ago in Europe series.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...