Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sydney surprise: Camping on Cockatoo Island


Not being a real big-city person, I jumped at the suggestion my Mum made to look into camping out on Cockatoo Island in Sydney Harbour. Camping there is a fairly new possibility that she'd seen on TV, and it worked out to be quite magical.

Cockatoo Island is a ten-minute ferry ride from Circular Quay; it'd be five minutes if they didn't stop anywhere on the way. And while it's also a destination for day-trippers wanting to look over the old shipyard and older prison on the island, once the last ferry leaves around 4pm, you and your fellow campers have the island to yourself.

The whole place is managed by the Sydney Harbour Federation Trust, and it reminds me a little of Rottnest Island because there are no exorbitant costs involved, despite being such a scenic spot. We paid A$75 to hire a tent and camping equipment for a night, including the tentsite, and we woke up to sunrise views of Sydney Harbour Bridge. It was a bit surreal - I felt like I was out in the countryside, but then, there was Sydney. Highly recommended.

4 comments:

  1. Now that sounds like something I need to do when I'm in Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely :-) it's the ultimate city experience for non-city people. And just something a bit different in a slightly over-touristed city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids would love that!! Will have to keep it in mind when we are next in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantaѕtіc website. Lots of helpful info here.

    I аm sending it to some frienԁs
    аns аlso ѕharing in ԁelicious.

    Anԁ obviously, thank yоu for youг effort!


    Loοκ into my рage: altec bucket truck
    My webpage - used altec bucket truck

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...