Monday, December 08, 2008

Aussie life around the pool

Although I spend a lot of December wishing I could have a "proper" Christmas in the northern hemisphere somewhere (preferably somewhere with funky Christmas markets and lots of warm alcohol), I did remember today that the typical Australian life over summer is actually pretty nice.

We've had a really (really!) slow start to the summer here in Perth, with a very unseasonably cold November, but this weekend we've finally had some warmer temperatures, and that's meant we can get back out into our swimming pool.


When I'm speaking to people from other countries (which probably includes a lot of blog readers), I usually don't like to mention we have a pool in our backyard. In other places this could be a symbol of wealth or decadence, but I promise you we're not rich, and in Perth, more than one in five households have a pool so it's certainly in some ways "normal".

And let me tell you, the backyard pool thing is an aspect of Aussie culture that I really love. It's the first time in my life I've had a pool and this is our second year with it; it's so relaxing to be able to wander outside and jump in. We have a saltwater pool so it even tastes good! It's also great to have friends around for a BBQ and all enjoy a swim first. All this is one good reason I have not to move away from Australia, at least for the time being.

4 comments:

  1. I'd never finish a novel with that pool in the backyard. I didn’t know there were saltwater pools. Is that "man made" or coming straight from the sea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean I could use the pool as a procrastination excuse? I never thought of that! Great idea :-)

    It's man made, as in we lug bags of salt from the local hardware store and throw them in, then the saltwater chlorinator does the job of turning a bit of the salt into chlorine so it's still technically a chlorinated pool but all you taste is salt. Much easier on the eyes, skin and swimsuits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the pool...you certainly don't live in parts of Florida or Arizona without a pool in your backyard. Everyone has one as a necessity to stay cool! I really like your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Denae, glad you like it :-) You're right, the pool is definitely a necessity here too once summer hits (which should be any day now, I hope!).

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...