Monday, July 07, 2008

Dreaming of a Berlin break


Last week I caught up with a former student of mine who had decided that instead of migrating to Australia, she would return home and start up life again there. Now, Australia's a nice place, but since her home is Berlin, I could totally understand this. Being one of my very favourite cities, I reluctantly let her go ... because at least if she's living there, I have one more place to stay when I next get to Berlin.

A Berlin city break is something I just have to daydream about for now. I know the city is still changing, and last time I was there I saw the new Postdamer Platz area and still more building and renovating going on; and I visited the Jewish Museum for the first time, still one of the most memorable museums I've ever been to. I also got to show my mother the massive Brandenburg Gate - she'd seen my photos from reunification night in 1990 and remembered how enthusiastic I was. But there's still a bunch of places in Berlin that I have never got to see.

All this reminds me of life in Europe and all those chances to go on cheap short breaks that I really, really miss. When I lived in south-west Germany there were so many great places within easy weekend reach - here in Perth, it's a four or five hour flight to anywhere, and a much higher cost. Oh well, at least we have some statistically wonderful average number of sunshine hours here.

8 comments:

  1. It's not quite Berlin, but we have Melbourne in 10 sleeps instead! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melbourne makes for a pretty decent city break too I think ... but if I had a fairy godmother I'd definitely take Berlin. 10 sleeps is really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how commonwealth folk say "sleeps" "This is 10 sleeps away!!" whereas Americans say days.....I'd love to go to berlin but sadly a trip to berlin is so far away i couldn't count the sleeps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute, I had no idea that counting the sleeps was a British thing. When we were kids we always counted the sleeps until Christmas. Coz if you count the days, how do you decide if the first and last days count or not? Sleeps is much more accurate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i guess fuel price increases will hurt you guys in OZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, "cheap" flights are already not that cheap, compared to Europe - and there are definitely signs that they are going to get even less cheap. Especially from isolated ol' Perth, where I live ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. just returned (24 hours ago) to melbourne after 18 months working in istanbul and london.... grimacing at the thought of holidaying again at phillip island after taking overnight buses to greece and cheap flights to germany. read your reverse culture shock post and it made me feel.... not exactly better but at least understood :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog. I'm originally from Perth, so I feel your pain with the high prices and 4-5 hours to any major city. I now live in the U.S. and find travel to the UK etc a bit easier, but still expensive for me.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...