Thursday, April 03, 2008

Same sky: Telling porky pies

Another quick entry for my list of "how amazing" intercultural translations ... in the Business English class I'm teaching, I suggested telling white lies as a possible strategy to use when negotiating. (Of course, that's the textbook's idea, not mine). I asked the class if anybody knew what a "white lie" was.

Berna, a Turkish student, looked at me for a minute, then answered, "In Turkish we tell pink lies. Maybe they're the same?"

Turns out they are, in fact, the same thing. We English speakers tell boring old white lies, but the Turkish jazz it up a bit with some pretty pink. Isn't that neat?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amanda,

    My name is Toole Kirkpatrick from Irland and I have been following your blog about becoming a fiction writer for some time. Lately, I haven't been able to access the blog anymore, due to reading right restrictions.

    I also am a writer. I consider myself as such, although I have never published on a larger scale. And as much as you, I aspire to complete a project in near future myself.

    I am highly interested in your doings and progress as a writer, and have already read many meaningful and helpful topics on your blog.

    I kindly ask you to invite me to view. My addy is toolekirkpatrick@gmail.com.

    All the best to you!

    T.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...