Thursday, February 07, 2008

Australia to London in five hours or less

Depressing news today. I was born about 50 years too early.

I've always been a little disappointed that since my first flight to Europe some 23 years ago, the time taken to get from Australia to London or Frankfurt hasn't decreased that much. I mean, if you look at the massive changes from LP records to cassettes, from CDs to iPods, in the same time period, the fact that it still takes the best part of a whole day and night to visit my in-laws in Europe is not that impressive.

But in the news at the moment is the possibility of a hypersonic plane that could fly from Brussels to Australia (it doesn't say which city) in 4 hours and 40 minutes. Considering it often takes longer than that to get from Perth to Sydney, that's really something I could go for.

The problem is that the best guess at the moment is that in 25 years' time, 10% of travel could be undertaken in hypersonic planes. So we're not talking next week that I'll be able to hop over to Europe without saving up my entire year's holidays. That's a real pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...