Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Reading on the go, or, I just like the name of the new Kindle

As anyone who's seen my study knows, I LOVE books. I love the smell of books, the feel of a book in the hand, the fantastic words inside, the collection of books on the shelves behind me which all have a special meaning from some part of my life.

But I accept that the way of the future is probably going to be the "electronic book", some kind of hi-tech device where you can store hundreds of books at once, carry them around easily, read whatever you want, wherever you want. I've often thought that when I go travelling, it would be nice to be able to take half a dozen books on a trip without worrying about paying excess baggage charges.

There are, of course, plenty of these kind of electronic book products on the market, but so far I've been intentionally avoiding them. But the new one from Amazon has got my interest, I have to admit. If you don't know, it's called the Kindle and as well as having a screen that sounds like it might even be easier on the eyes than reading an actual book, it also has wireless access (within the US, anyway) to download more books and other files.

But the reason I like it the most is that Kindle is so close to my surname, Kendle. Perhaps my websites will get some stray traffic from people looking for a Kindle! Or maybe it's just a bit of a sign that one day, this will be the electronic reader I finally give in to. But it'll be a while yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...