Monday, September 24, 2007

Delicious Brazilian brigadeiro (aka who's teaching who?)


Impressed? I actually made these! Vini and Louise, two of my Brazilian students, have made brigadeiro for class parties in recent months and they also taught me how to make this very tasty Brazilian confectionery. And yes, that's another classic example of my students teaching me heaps and me teaching them, well, perhaps very little. I do at least speak English all day to them, and I hope that somehow that improves their skills, particularly in vocabulary areas like class gossip, chocolate eating and weekend pursuits. Sometimes I think they don't need me. They had even already figured out "sweetened condensed milk" despite it not appearing in the dictionary.

But in any case, I have been raving about these brigadeiro recently and have promised a few people the recipe, so in the interests of sharing cultures (and perhaps a few calories), here it is:

You'll need:
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
4 tablespoons of chocolate powder (for example "Quik" or some other drink mix)
1 tablespoon butter

What to do:
Put the condensed milk and the chocolate powder in a saucepan on medium heat. Stir. Stir. Stir!!! Keep stirring until it starts boiling (this could take around 10 minutes). Then add the butter, and keep stirring. Stir, stir, stir (my hand got really tired when I made this) and it will suddenly start to get thicker. It is ready when you tilt the saucepan and the mix all moves together. Don't cook it too long or it will be chewy (a lesson from experience).

Take the mix out of the saucepan and put it on a plate to cool. Don't eat any yet because you will burn your tongue (another lesson from my own experience). After it cools put butter on your hands, roll small balls of brigadeiro and roll them in chocolate sprinkles. Eat, or save them to share with your friends.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Yum!! And anything with condensed milk in it is hard to go past!!!! hehe!! ;)
    Will have to be one of our weekend projects, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, no, not the condensed milk!! It's impossible to stop eating it, double the recipe requirements must always be purchased... help! Help! My waistline. Glad to visit, from the Rewind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- these are almost too pretty to eat! Where were these lovelies last week when I was desperately seeking chocolate? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Er - yum! These look great. Everyone has something to teach us, don't they?

    Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pfft...save for your friends...as if!

    Might have to give this one a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at sweetened condensed milk. So bad, so good ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopped in from the rewind at the Fibro and now will have to walk an extra mile to burn off the calories just from reading this! I could eat (okay, have eaten) sweetened condensed milk right out of the can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for stopping by, and apologies if I've added anything to your waistlines by sharing this recipe ...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...