Friday, June 15, 2007

Cultural rant: Breakfast cereal

I just heard something on TV that I thought was nearly unbelievable, and I have to share it: there's a rumour that Coco Pops will cease to exist. Not my normal subject area, but you know I have a soft spot for all things chocolate; I've also been concerned since my return to Australia that the "she'll be right mate" attitude combined with a booming economy has made some Aussies lose sight of important stuff like health, environment and thinking ahead.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about the demise of Coco Pops: they're my once-a-year treat of a breakfast, usually at some outback motel that doesn't offer anything else; but I get quite distressed when I see parents at the supermarket loading their trolley with those massive boxes of them - I'm no nutrionist but I can't imagine there's any value to eating them.

It turns out that Kelloggs has announced it wants to shift to healthier products, stop advertising sugar-laden treats to impressionable under 12s and stop putting trinkets in boxes. Sounds suspiciously like changing the world for the better and not looking at the bottom line - I'll believe it when I see it.

1 comment:

  1. Later I heard a rumour that "people" had been threatening to sue Kelloggs ... if that's true, it's sad, but makes their goody-goody act make sense!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...