Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Booker Prize shortlist: My reading list grows

Since I've lived in Germany I've made it a rule to read novels using a ratio of 3 English to 1 German (and unfortunately, the single German novel takes nearly as long to read as three English ones). Along with the fact that the latest English-language novels are generally not on display in Heilbronn bookshops, I've already found two excuses for not having read a single book listed on the longlist for the Man Booker Prize 2006:
  • Carey, Peter Theft: A Love Story
  • Desai, Kiran The Inheritance of Loss
  • Edric, Robert Gathering the Water
  • Gordimer, Nadine Get a Life
  • Grenville, Kate The Secret River
  • Hyland, M.J. Carry Me Down
  • Jacobson, Howard Kalooki Nights
  • Lasdun, James Seven Lies
  • Lawson, Mary The Other Side of the Bridge
  • McGregor, Jon So Many Ways to Begin
  • Matar, Hisham In the Country of Men
  • Messud, Claire The Emperor’s Children
  • Mitchell, David Black Swan Green
  • Murr, Naeem The Perfect Man
  • O’Hagan, Andrew Be Near Me
  • Robertson, James The Testament of Gideon Mack
  • St Aubyn, Edward Mother’s Milk
  • Unsworth, Barry The Ruby in her Navel
  • Waters, Sarah The Night Watch
If you've read any of these, please leave me a comment with some tips on where to start!

1 comment:

  1. Way late I know, but I can recommend So Many Ways to Begin wholeheartedly, even though I would say I slightly preferred his earlier book. It's a lovely, warm, and somehow quiet book. A celebration of a long relationship which can weather storms. The storyline is far from linear: it is pieced together from fragments, prompted by articles in David's own personal collection.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...