Sunday, January 01, 2006

A Slovak Silvester

“Silvester” has become a regular part of my vocabulary since I’ve lived in Europe, but someone reminded me recently that most of my mates back home would think of the cat who stalks Tweety-bird before realising it refers to a New Year’s Eve celebration. Whatever you want to call it, the clock-watching as 2005 became 2006 took place for me this year in Bratislava, Slovakia, at the home of good friend Tatiana (who you may remember from her recent visit to Heilbronn) in suburban Dlhe Diely.

A highlight was the teamwork between Tatiana’s son Martin, my sister Zoe, brother-in-law Geoff and I as we built Zoe and Geoff’s first ever snowman: at least, that’s what I thought it would be, until it turned into a snow-woman! The Australian visitors were also enthralled with the local (illegal-in-Australia) fireworks, set off all over the suburb at unpredictable intervals and intensities. Towards the end of a slightly drunken night, Tatiana’s girlfriends serenaded us with a Slovak folk song and we attempted to respond with Waltzing Matilda, sadly realising that none of us really knew the words to one of our favourite national songs.

Wherever and however you celebrated, a Happy New Year to all - cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Amanda, don't you have a worst foto than this one? Just joking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all that drinking you are going to need to get your snowman a new liver. Lucky for you there is a Snowman donating his liver on Ebay

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltzing_Matilda:

    Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong,
    Under the shade of a coolibah tree,
    And he sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled
    "Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me?"

    Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
    Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
    And he sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled,
    "Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me?"

    Along came a jumbuck to drink at the billabong,
    Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him with glee,
    And he sang as he stowed that jumbuck in his tucker bag,
    "You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

    Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
    Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
    And he sang as he stowed that jumbuck in his tucker bag,
    "You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me?".

    Up rode the squatter, mounted on his thoroughbred,
    Down came the troopers, one, two, three,
    "Whose is that jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?"
    "You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

    Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
    Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
    "Whose is that jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?",
    "You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me?".

    Up jumped the swagman, leapt into the billabong,
    "You'll never catch me alive," said he,
    And his ghost may be heard as you pass by the billabong,
    "Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

    Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
    Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
    And his ghost may be heard as you pass by the billabong,
    "Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me?"

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...