Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Travel report: Hitting Hamburg

Aussie readers might remember a verse from a Paul Kelly song:
I headed north until I got to Hamburg
A chilly city suits a troubled soul
And on the Reeperbahn I paid a woman far too much
To kick me out before
I’d even reached my goal
My first day in Hamburg was surprisingly sunny and non-chilly considering the time of year (the second, however, met expectations); and of course, I didn’t have the same problem on the red-light Reeperbahn. Instead, I curiously window-shopped at the endless sex shops (in daylight hours!), and away from the (in)famous Reeperbahn I walked for hours exploring the canals and red-brick warehouse buildings of this huge port city, then escaped the grey drizzle in the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe. Did I reach my own goals in Hamburg? – if these were different to Paul Kelly’s, and instead something like getting a feel for an important German city and taking advantage of being in the big smoke to do a spot of shopping, then the answer’s a clear yes.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...