Tuesday, November 29, 2005

In the Aussie bush


Tourists don’t usually get to my Dad’s shack and piece of bush south of Mandurah, more’s the pity for them. I spent a couple of nights here in this relaxed, slightly remote spot with no phone, no internet, no mains water, and electricity which only arrived a couple of years ago.

My hope for a stint of sunbathing on the estuary beach was spoilt by cooler, windy weather, but instead I got a thorough grounding in Australian native trees and flowers as my Dad showed me the various wattles, banksias and wildflowers they’re encouraging to grow on the block. The lessons soon stretched from flora to fauna when we spotted a mother and baby ring-tailed possum duo, and a pink and grey galah nesting in a high hollow tree trunk. No koalas and kangaroos, but I still felt like I’d seen a real bit of Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...