Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Where in the world ...?

This week I learnt of an interesting project on "Visited Countries" - it's worth a surf to click the countries you've visited, to see a calculation of the percentage of the world's nations you've stepped foot in and a pretty map emphasising how much more of the world there is to see. My 40 countries, by their calculations, generated this pretty map and reported I'd visited 17% of the globe.

Leaving aside the arguments over how to define a country, I'm still trying to decide if I should just stop counting. Quality is more important than quantity, I know, but I certainly admit to visiting the odd country (Liechtenstein springs to mind) simply to add it to my tally. There are dozens of countries I still hope to visit in my life, but this year, my third in Europe, is something of a consolidation year: most of my current travel plans focus on returns to countries and cities I've already been, where I'm keen to have a second or third look or just see a slightly different part. Maybe in another year I'll be anxious to add new passport stamps, or I'll simply have a longer list of places to revisit - who knows, but it's all part of the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...