Saturday, September 24, 2005

Hit the hotspots or follow the sidetracks?

It’s a year ago now that my mother and stepfather were our first visitors in Germany, and we took them on the compulsory visit to Heidelberg, our nearest tourist hotspot.

But as semi-locals, we found the sidetracks over our year in Germany, and took later visitors to lesser-known spots like Bad Wimpfen or Nördlingen. Yet they all ended up going to Heidelberg as well.

So my question is: can you go to Paris and not visit the Eiffel Tower? Is it OK to visit New York but skip the Statue of Liberty? My instinctive answer is yes, it’s possible, but a mere handful of people would travel this way. I guess the important thing is to strive to also see beyond the front pages of the tourist brochures.

1 comment:

  1. Want to know something funny pertaining to this blog...I lived in NYC..TWICE! And still to this day have never seen or visited the Statue of Liberty! I think perhaps I saw it one time in the air from the plane on a visit but my memory is not too clear on that one.

    So in answer to your question: YES it is possible! I am in New York a lot too so go figure!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...