Saturday, July 09, 2005

It’s freezing out there

Complaints rolled in this week from friends and family on the other side of the world, when my hometown of Perth, Western Australia experienced a severe cold snap.

My students here in Germany have got wise to the Australian climate during my year of complaints about European weather, so nobody was surprised when I told them these record cold temps were still above freezing. Friends back home, on the other hand, were a bit indignant when we compared notes and discovered our maximum temps were about the same, even though over here it’s labelled “summer”.

Recent winters for me have definitely been below zero. If you haven’t seen my Student Traveler story on Snowshoeing in Lapland, have a look (the pretty pdf version is here, page 8) and wherever you are in the world, you can experience the cold and dark of a Finland winter. Almost everywhere’s warm compared to that.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Amanda, this photo of the bikes is great - gets the message across about how cold it is over there! I'll never complain about a Perth Winter again.

    -Maria

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...